Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini I9195 users who wish to root their devices running on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, may follow our step-by-step guide.
This tutorial uses the ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) file and an insecure kernel released by Recognized XDA-Developers, arco68. It's allowing owners of the Galaxy S4 Mini I9195 to root their devices easily.
Disclaimer: Rooting voids the warranty of your device. We and the developer of this rooting procedures shall not be held responsible if any undesirable outcomes may happen to your device. use of this root guide is solely at your own risk!
NOTE: THIS TUTORIAL HAS BEEN UPDATED HERE!
1. Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini on the computer.
2. Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone by navigating to Settings >> Developer Options.
3. Make a backup of all your important data before following the guide.
4. The Galaxy S4 Mini should be factory unlocked and not locked to any particular carrier.
5. Ensure the battery of the phone is charged more than 80 per cent.
6. The Kernel and ClockworkMod Recovery files works only on the LTE version of Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with model number GT-I9195. Applying these to any incorrect variant might brick the device. Verify the model number of the Galaxy S4 Mini by navigating to Settings >> About Phone.
1. Kernel (GT-I9195_MF5_870901_kernel.tar.zip)
2. ClockworkMod Recovery (recovery-clockwork-184.108.40.206-serranoltexx.tar.zip)
3. Odin 3.07 (Mirror Link)
Steps to Root Galaxy S4 Mini I9195 Running on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Firmware
Step 1: Extract Kernel, ClockworkMod Recovery and Odin 3.07 files using WinRAR/7-Zip/WinZip or any other extracting tool.
Step 2: Switch off the Galaxy S4 Mini. Then boot the device into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until a construction Android robot icon with a warning triangle appears on screen. Now press the Volume Up button to enter Download Mode.
Step 3: Launch Odin on the computer as an Administrator.
Step 4: Connect the Galaxy S4 Mini to the computer using USB cable while it is in the Download Mode. Wait until Odin detects the device. When the device is connected successfully, the ID: COM box will turn blue with the COM port number. Additionally, the successful connected will be indicated by a message saying Added.
Note: If the Added message does not appear, then try re-install USB drivers or changing the port on the computer.
Step 5: In Odin, click the PDA button and select the GT-I9195_MF5_870901_kernel.tar.md5 file.
Step 6: Verify that F.Reset Time checkbox is not selected in Odin.
Step 7: Double-check and click Start in Odin. The installation process will now begin. When the installation process is completed, your phone will restart automatically. You can now unplug the USB cable to disconnect your device from computer.
Step 8: Now repeat Steps 2 - 7 again, but this time on Step 5 select the recovery-clockwork-220.127.116.11-serranoltexx.tar.md5 file.
Step 9: Once the installation process is completed, switch off the phone. Then boot the device into Recovery Mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together.
Step 10: In Recovery Mode, select Reboot System Now. It will ask if you want to root the device. Select Yes.
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini I9195 running on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware should now be rooted successfully. You can now install any app that requires root permission. Verify the root status of the device by downloading Root Checker app from Google Play Store.
Thank's to all fellas at XDA who first tried out this rooting technique. This method was originally posted via XDA-Developers original thread.