Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5100 users who have already updated their devices with Android 4.1.1 XXCLL2 Jelly Bean firmware, may root their devices using the tutorial below.
This tutorial uses CF-Auto-Root file released by recognised XDA Developers, Chainfire. The CF-Auto-Root file allowing Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 users to root their devices easily.
Disclaimer: Rooting voids the warranty of your device. We and the developer of this rooting procedures shall not be held responsible if any undesirable outcomes may happen to your device. use of this root guide is solely at your own risk!
1. Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 on the computer.
2. Enable USB Debugging Mode.
3. Make a backup of all your important data before following the guide.
4. The Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 should be factory unlocked and not locked to any particular carrier.
5. Ensure the battery of the phone is charged more than 80 per cent.
6. The CF-Auto-Root file works only on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5100 running on Android 4.1.1 XXCLL2 Jelly Bean firmware. Applying these on any incorrect variant will brick the device. Verify the model number of the Galaxy Note 2 by navigating to Settings>> About Phone.
1. CF-Auto-Root for Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5100 (CF-Auto-Root-espresso10rf-espresso10rfxx-gtp5100.zip)
2. Odin 3.07 (Mirror Link)
Steps to Root Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5100 Running on Android 4.1.1 XXCLL2 Jelly Bean Firmware
Step 1: Extract downloaded CF-Auto-Root zip file using WinRAR/7-Zip/WinZip or any other extracting tool and you will find a .tar.md5 file within it.
Step 2: Extract Odin zip file and you will get Odin3 v3.07.exe along with few other files.
Step 3: Power off your phone. Wait 5-6 seconds for vibration to confirm complete switch off.
Step 4: Boot the device into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power button together until the device turns on. Then press the Volume Up button to enter Download Mode.
Step 5: Run Odin on the computer as an Administrator.
Step 6: Connect the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 to the computer using USB cable while it is in the Download Mode. Wait until Odin detects the device. When the device is connected successfully, the ID: COM box will turn yellow with the COM port number. Additionally, the successful connected will be indicated by a message saying Added. If Odin fails to detect the device then re-install USB driver.
Step 7: Select these files in Odin at respective buttons:
- Click the PDA Button, and select CF-Auto-Root-espresso10rf-espresso10rfxx-gtp5100.tar.md5.
Step 9: Verify everything suggested in Step 7 and Step 8 is done correctly. Then hit the START button to begin the flashing process.
Step 10: Once flashing completed, your tablet will restart and soon you will see a PASS message with green background in the left-most box at the very top of the Odin. You can now unplug the USB cable to disconnect your device from computer.
Your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5100 running on Android 4.1.1 XXCLL2 Jelly Bean firmware is now rooted successfully. You may now install any app that requires root permission. Verify the root status of the device by downloading Root Checker app from Google Play Store.
Note: Many Samsung devices store a flash counter that keeps track of how many times you have flashed custom firmwares to your device. Triangle Away can be used to reset the flash counter to zero.
Thank's to all fellas at XDA who first tried out this rooting technique. This root method was originally posted via XDA-Developers original thread.